Electricity is a necessity in modern life, both at job and at home. It has become a familiar part in our life. However we generally overlook the hazards it possess and fail to treat it with respect it deserves. Electricity is often termed as “silent killer” because it cannot be tasted, heard, seen or smelled. According to National Crime Records Bureau of India, there are average 25.06 deaths per day due to electrocution.

So to prevent your home or yourself from any of the electric hazard, we are defining top 7 ways that leave your house electrically unsafe and how to prevent it.

1. Old electrical wiring:



Major concern with old wiring systems is electric capacity. In 1950’s homeowners didn’t a lot of electrical appliances except for a radio and few lights. But with the arrival of air conditioners and refrigerators, mid –century home electrical systems has become obsolete.

Old wiring systems are insufficient to handle huge electricity load generated because of air conditioners, refrigerators, personal computers and entertainment systems.

The best way to protect yourself from electrical hazards is to have a professional electricians inspect and install and if necessary upgrade your wiring to Rallison wires because our wires are capable of handling modern electricity load and are made according to international standards.

If you have any doubts about wiring your home call us and we will make sure your wiring is done right.

2. Arc faults:

Electric arc faults is a type of electrical explosion or discharge when current flows openly through non-conductive media e.g air. Arc faults are majorly caused by loose or improper connection between wires, overheated wires, damaged electrical appliances, wires touching vibrating metal, electrical wire insulation chewed by rodents.

Arc faults are one of the major cause of electric home fires because when it occurs inside walls or ceilings temperature can increase to 10,000 degree Fahrenheit. Fortunately arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) are developed to avoid fires caught by arc faults. They will protect your house against short circuits and overloads.

3. Faulty outlets:


The electrical power running in our homes is hot and fast and it should easily flow through the circuits available in your homes and back to the main grid without any disturbance. The outlets in your houses provide the appliances required power using this current.

When an appliance is plugged in an outlet that draws too much power, too much heat builds in outlet and it melts the insulation causing wires to be exposed and increasing the chance of electrical fire.

Generally an outlet sparks once in a while but when it sparks every time you plug any appliance then probably it might have a problem.  So to avoid electrical hazards caused due to faulty outlets always use good outlets and Rallison wires that prevent your house from catching fire.

4. Ground Faults:


Electricity always want to find a way or path to the ground. In a ground fault, electricity finds a way to ground but it is a path that it is not intended to be on, such as through a person’s body. So to prevent these type electric hazard use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI).

A GFCI senses current flowing to ground through an unconventional method and switches off the power before electrocution occurs. In home a GFCI constantly monitors electric current flowing in circuit, to detect any loss of current and if current differs by any small amount from that returning, it switches off power to that circuit.

You should check GFCI once a month to make sure they are working properly and are protecting you from ground faults.

5. Electrical surges:

You must have noticed that when a lightning strikes nearby or thunderstorm occurs, power goes for a moment and then comes back. And when you try to switch on TV after that it doesn’t seem to work. It happens due to a sudden power spike in your home electric current. This is known as electrical surges or power surge. Usually it is very short, lasting less than a thousandth of a second but it can cause a serious damage to your home appliances and in worst case start a house fire.

So the question here is that how you protect yourselves from power surges. And the answer to this question is to have a good wiring system in your home and buy a surge protector. The surge protector will absorb any excess energy in event of power surge and will redirect current to ground instead of letting it to your appliances.

6. Incorrectly used light bulbs:


Before installing any light bulbs in your homes make sure that they have correct wattage for each fixture, screw bulbs tightly and be sure to turn off switch before installing new bulb or changing previous one.

Installing a bulb with high wattage then required is a leading cause of electrical fires. Also keep in mind that never keep any paper or cloth over a bulb because the material will heat up, ignite and will cause fire.

7. Electric heaters or space heaters:


Electric heaters are portable so many times people put them too close to combustible things like beds, curtains, clothing etc. This is very dangerous because coil of the heaters will become hot and it will ignite any flammable surface near it.

A solution to this problem is that you use a radiator type heater because it will distribute heat into entire surface and is less likely to ignite flammable items. But as a precaution you should keep heater away from flammable items.


Don’t take any risk. No matter how old or new your home is, you should have a regular assessment of electrical safety to identify any existing or potential problems that could lead to unsafe situation. This important step in home maintenance can keep you and your family safe.