8 Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards - RALLISON

8 Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards

By November 29, 2016Uncategorized

1879 was the eventful year when, illumination found its way into the lives of our forefathers. It was the year whenthe first electric light glowed in Calcutta. We indeed have come a very long way from the 18th century to today, where we reach out to our phones the moment there is no current in our house. Such has been the irreplaceable bond between electricity and us humans. Our life would be incomplete without its presence. However over dependence on anything can be dangerous and something as generous as electricity is no exception to it.

Here we are to enlighten you with the 8 most dangerous hazards of electricity, so that you continue to maintain a harmonious relationship with electricity.

1. Outdate wiring system


How well are you aware of the health of the wiring of your house? Did you know that the internal wiring of your house has to be changed a replaced with new wiring once in every 30 years? Are you sure, your wires aren’t older than that? Well ponder over these questions because bad wiring increases chances of electrical accidents like – electrical shocks, electrical fires etc.

However, upgrading the wiring of your home will help you prevent many of the electrical hazards caused by-

  • Loose or improper connections
  • Frayed appliances
  • Cracked wire insulation caused by heat
  • Over heated wires or cords.

2. Vicinity of water to outlets

It was back then in school that we learn that water is a good conductor of electricity. Make sure that in places like electrical outlets in bathrooms, washing area or laundry, swimming pools, motor areas the electrical outlets are at a fair distance from the water. Taking this precaution prevents occurrence of an electric shock. All sockets close to water need to be GFCI type to prevent electric dangers and shock

3. Operating electric appliances with wet hands

Unmindful of something as small as wet hands, we might reach out to the switch or the outlet with them. This can lead to an extremely fatal electrocution. Another important point to be parked in your mind is that- make sure your hands aren’t sweaty while operating electrical outlets. It might sound like a small thing, but as we Know salt water is a better conductor of electricity.

4.  Pouring water on electrical fire

danger-of-deathAs much as you want to be the saviors by risking your life and pouring water on an electric fire, it is important to remember that this effort of yours would absolutely go vain because water on electric fires only add as a lubricant to the wild fire. Before you know it, you are already electrocuted from the impact of the water and the fire and somebody else has to come to save you now. It is always advisable to have a fire extinguisher with you at home for all kinds of emergencies. In absence of it, turn off the main power of your home and call the fire men to the rescue.

5. Inquisitive kiddos

Do you remember wanting to put your finger into the small hole of the electric outlet to find out what happened? After all you were a kid and you were inquisitive about the world around you. Young kids and babies are always under a threat of fatal electrical hazard because quiet often they aren’t aware of the repercussions of their actions. The problem goes onto another level when, you have a baby at home who has just started crawling. Keep an eye on your kids and babies. Imprint it into their heads by constant reminding that, it is not safe to keep your hand in an electrical socket. The best solution for this issue is to make you home baby proof.

6. Placing of extension cords

To prevent tripping or an accident it is advisable to place extension cords in a fixed place. It is true that extension cords make things easier for us by moving electricity closer to us. However using too many appliances on a single cord box can be very dangerous. As much as possible refrain from using an appliance which is working with the aid of an extension cord box.

7. Light bulbs

Light bulbs look pretty small and cute to cause any harm to us. But the problem occurs when these bulbs are placed near highly flammable products like beds, drapes, plastics etc. Lights, like all sources of electricity, can also cause electric shock, so ensure you always turn the light switch off before replacing a light bulb, and never replace a light bulb or touch a light switch with wet hands. Always ensure you use a light bulb with the correct wattage to prevent overheating.

8. Over heating of wires

url2Most wires today are heavily coated. This often leads to overheating of the wires, when in extreme use and ultimately leads to a fatal electrical accident. Make sure the wires and electrical equipment had enough space around them to receive air and ventilation to prevent overheating.

There are many precautions that are to be taken with respect to electricity after all you always need to be mindful that electricity being something derived from nature cannot be tamed and controlled. It can only be managed with our precautions. Being aware of these electrical hazards is a first step towards safety.

Now that you have done it, go ahead and make sure you fulfill the above mentioned ones too.

Also check out the best wires and cables for your home from Rallison.

Leave a Reply

Watch Dragon ball super